Can technology reduce waste and increase yield?
12th May 2021
Agriculture takes a big toll on our planet. With the global population growing by 1.1% every year, finding a sustainable agricultural model that produces sufficient food whilst minimising waste is undoubtedly the biggest challenge that agribusinesses must overcome.
- Who are key players dominating the wastewater and crop destruction prevention patent landscapes?
- What can the patenting trends tell us about investment into these areas?
- Which countries are prioritising investment into technologies that achieve agricultural sustainability?
This article, Agricultural Sustainability: can technology reduce waste and increase yield, looks through a patent lens at the technologies behind two key areas; wastewater reduction and reducing crop destruction, uncovering the following points:
- China dominates the competitive landscape of both wastewater and crop destruction prevention technologies, despite its high levels of pollution
- Universities in China, Korea and Japan monopolise the wastewater treatment technology landscape
- Corporate organisations lead in their investment into crop destruction prevention technologies, yet fall behind in the wastewater treatment technology space