28th August 2020
Taking advantage during the pandemic: Patents and innovation behind the boosting of the meat substitute sector
Over the past few months the meat industry has dramatically slowed down due to the COVID-19 pandemic with social distancing measures hard to stick to in slaughterhouses and meat packing facilities. The US has seen 32% of its pork production capacity offline, similarly its meat production was down by 14% by the end of April 2020.
This is in direct contrast with the soaring meat substitutes market. The sale of plant-based meat substitute analogues surged by 265% over an eight week period ending on April 18th, but how? Large parts of the production of plant-based proteins is automated, thus staff are less exposed and supply chain disruptions are few and far between.
Our analysis on the patents driving the meat substitutes space enables a clear view of this patent landscape – who is doing what, which patented technologies are boosting plant protein-based products and where in the world market demand is soaring.
Download the Cipher report on Meat Substitutes below and find out more about the patented innovations in this space. Headline findings are:
- North America and East Asia leading the way in meat substitute innovation
- COVID-19 seemingly acting as catalyst for shifting consumer preferences
- Record investments for the sector in only the first quarter of 2020 driven by cell-cultured meat companies and start-ups
Using Cipher, we have looked at innovation and patent trends across the meat substitute patent landscape, identifying growing technologies and top players.
‘Meat Substitutes’ PDF Download
Gain an insight into the companies and patents behind this growing area of innovation
The report looks at the following areas by innovation trends and top players:
- Which countries are leading the way
- What areas of innovation are meeting growing consumer demand for plant-based foods
- Who are the organisations that hold patents in the meat substitute space