IP Corporate Strategy Summit 2020
Portfolio Optimisation Session Recording
This year marked the fourth IP Corporate Strategy Summit, but the first to be done virtually. As IP Strategy continuously evolves, so too does our need to stay connected with the full spectrum of issues that sit at the heart of it. Our carefully designed programme covered a host of the critical IP issues that have emerged from the uncertain and tumultuous circumstances of today’s world.
It was an honour to have the keynote from Mr Justice Birss, hot off the Supreme Court decision upholding Sir Colin’s first instance decision. The full transcript of his keynote address is available to you via the button below.
Some of the highlights from Mr Justice Birss’ keynote speech were:
- a review of how well the UK Courts have adapted to Cover
- a welcome reminder of how adaptable the UK Courts to new remedies, using “Arrow declarations” as a good example
- what both Covid and FRAND teach about collaboration
- the importance of focussing on the similarities in IP protection around the world
Cipher were also joined in a lively discussion by ARM, Google and BAE Systems. Our panel focussed on Portfolio Optimisation and discussed the use of strategic patent intelligence (SPI) models to rightsize patent portfolios. This discussion stems from the Cipher Report on Portfolio Optimisation published in March 2020 that sought to ascertain whether organisations had well-balanced portfolios and whether their portfolios were aligned to their business strategy.
Key takeaways included:
- Rightsizing your patent portfolio
- Budgets in recession – cutting not wounding
- Economic models for evidence-based decisions
If you’d like to learn more about the patent portfolio optimisation model discussed in this session, please get in touch directly.