16th November 2022
Inventions & Innovators powering the Energy Transition – Oil and Gas Supermajors
Who are the Oil & Gas Supermajors?
In this report we analyse the invention and innovation being made in the critical technologies powering the energy transition.
The seven supermajors we examine are:
- Total Energies.
Key messages from our updated report
- The balance of competitive advantage for energy producers is shifting from hydrocarbon resource access to ownership of the underlying technologies that are enabling the energy transition. TotalEnergies’ out-performing pace of innovation sets it apart from its supermajor peers. Its sustainable energy innovation areas of focus are batteries and photovoltaics.
- There is a relatively low level of patenting from supermajors compared to leaders in other industries and compared to the big oilfield service providers. This points to a continued strategy of reliance on third-party innovation that looks set to continue with the development of renewable low-carbon energy resources.
- Supermajors’ innovation has been weighted towards technology areas associated with the categories of Materials, Mechanical and Sensors & Optics. This includes more downstream business-focused innovation in chemicals, polymers, gases and liquid processing and some upstream-focused innovation weighted to drills.
Access our updated Oil and Gas Supermajors report
Oil and Gas Supermajors
Gain an insight into the inventions and the innovators powering energy transition
The report includes detailed charts and data on:
- Pace of energy transition related innovation
- Weighting of published inventions
Insights & Thought Leadership
Europe and Asia edging ahead for green hydrogen technology supremacy
Cipher patent analysis helps inform Mintel Sustainability Barometer
The Circular Economy: Sustainable Packaging
With Cipher you can…
Optimise your portfolio
Ensure you have the right portfolio to meet your strategic patenting objectives.
Gather competitor intelligence
Understand who’s doing what by automating patent to technology mapping.
Model cross licensing
Combine patent and revenue data to determine rational licensing outcomes.
Conduct due diligence
Automate manual reviews for efficient execution of M&A and licensing transactions.
Tackle inbound patent assertion
Be prepared with evidence to create a fast and effective threat assessment.
Benchmark your portfolio
Assess your portfolio in comparison to other owners through your technology lens.
Monetise your portfolio
Identify opportunities to create value through licensing or sale of patent assets.
Predict technology trends
Track new technologies and discover the unknown owners of future innovation.
Create Risk Mitigation Strategies
Understand the materiality of your threats to define your risk mitigation strategy.