Cipher is an online platform using machine learning to classify patent data
The Cipher Platform
Cipher was created to enable IP professionals to make evidence based decisions around their patent strategy.
On this page:
Your Own Classifiers use supervised machine learning to automate patent to technology mapping
- See how you can have your own Classifiers in your Custom Taxonomy
- Take a look at how classifiers have been used across a number of Example Sector Taxonomies
Cipher automates the generation of patent landscapes providing an interactive report of all owners of a specified technology, as an example ‘Augmented Reality’:
- Easy to use, with over 70 reports in each classifier, including by organisation, geography, cost, disputes; all downloadable
- The Classifier is repeatable, quick to access, and includes alerting for new publications matching your classifiers
- Cipher Classifiers have been independently tested for accuracy
Cipher automatically clusters any patent portfolio, and maps it to portfolios owned by other companies in the space:
- Our platform uses the best corporate tree available on the market, provided by 1790 Analytics, and which further improves corporate grouping using a combination of machine learning algorithms and manual checks
- You can compare technologies across organisations by filing country
- Analyse the patent spend by organisation in each technology area and by country
See an example BASF
With improvements in AI technology and other analytics platforms like Cipher, today we are able to understand the numbers of patents that are relevant to certain technology areas at a push of a button.
Jeremiah Chan, Head of Patents, Meta
Download the Cipher Platform Specification
Find out more about the Cipher product platform specification, including:
- Corporate Groupings
- Use case
- Download options
- Safety and Security
With a Cipher Subscription, we can develop a solution that fits your individual needs, but here are some options our customers have chosen:
- Cipher out of the box with Corporate Clustering
- Cipher with your own taxonomy with classifiers built for you. See example Sector taxonomies
- Cipher with the Universal Technology Taxonomy, classifying every single patent in the world
- Cipher Certified where we train and certify you to build your own classifiers
- Cipher with in house expertise for regular modelling and reporting
Talk with our team
Book a 15-minute exploratory call with our team by viewing their diary and choosing a slot to suit you.
Centrica on the value of Cipher
Seagate on keeping up with technology changes
BAE Systems on the importance of competitive intelligence in disruptive technology environments
ARM on classifiers and managing patent budgets
BorgWarner on how automation increases speed and reduces cost
Ocado on balancing IP protection with mitigation of patent risk and conflict
Richardson Oliver Insights on the challenges of IP Teams
Bob Pechman, Chief Intellectual Property Counsel, Seagate Technology
With Cipher you can…
Optimise your portfolio
Ensure you have the right portfolio to meet your strategic patenting objectives.
Gather competitor intelligence
Understand who’s doing what by automating patent to technology mapping.
Model cross licensing
Combine patent and revenue data to determine rational licensing outcomes.
Conduct due diligence
Automate manual reviews for efficient execution of M&A and licensing transactions.
Tackle inbound patent assertion
Be prepared with evidence to create a fast and effective threat assessment.
Benchmark your portfolio
Assess your portfolio in comparison to other owners through your technology lens.
Monetise your portfolio
Identify opportunities to create value through licensing or sale of patent assets.
Predict technology trends
Track new technologies and discover the unknown owners of future innovation.
Create Risk Mitigation Strategies
Understand the materiality of your threats to define your risk mitigation strategy.