1st March 2020
Cipher Report on Portfolio Optimisation
Last year Cipher conducted a global survey in collaboration with IAM to ascertain whether organisations believe they have too many patents, too few or both, whether their business strategy is aligned with their portfolio and indeed, what strategic purpose their portfolio serves. And the results have been eye-opening. Uncovering some hidden truths around patent portfolios, the Cipher Report on Portfolio Optimisation has finally gone viral.
Four key findings have come to light:
- Over $40 billion is spent on patents each year, but less than 20% of companies report that their patent portfolio is the right size
- Strategic investment in patents mitigates exposure to damages and royalties, an estimated 5% of company revenue
- Patent strategy is increasingly being scrutinised by the C-suite and Board
- Improvement in AI and machine learning means that on average 9% of their patent budgets are invested in Strategic Patent Intelligence
In a world where economic growth heavily depends on technology and the IP rights that protect those investments, Cipher has put forward a suggested model to optimise your portfolio, so that you might have confidence that your portfolio is, indeed, fit for purpose at all times.
Download Cipher’s Report on Portfolio Optimisation.
THE KEY FINDINGS ARE:
- Over $40 billion is spent on patents each year, but less than 20% of companies report that their portfolio is the right size
- Most patent experts believe that a well-balanced portfolio reduces the threat of patent litigation
- Patent strategy is scrutinised by the CTO, CFO or board in most organisations
- Organisations spend an average of 9% of their patent budgets on strategic patent intelligence