LOT has become the solution of choice to address the NPE issue
12th April 2023
LOT Network Report 2022
In the introduction to the 2022 report, LOT Network state:
“2022 was another record year for LOT Network, with 831 new members joining our community. Each year, in LOT’s 8-year history, has been a record year of growth – proof that LOT has become the solution of choice to address the NPE issue.”
LOT Network had over 2,700 members as of 2022 – this is up from 1,700 members in 2021.
- LOT Network has aggregated rights to the largest patent portfolio in the world. There are now over 3,652,925 active worldwide assets and counting subject to the LOT Agreement
- More than 117,044 assets have already left LOT Network, of which over 4,717 have gone to PAEs. Due to the transparency, uniformity, and wide-adoption of the LOT Agreement itself, none of these assets have been asserted against LOT Members
- Cipher’s Universal Technology Taxonomy (UTT) system is widely used by those doing patent portfolio analysis. The top three technology areas for patents owned by LOT Network members are:
- Information (332, 148 patent families – 28%)
- Mechanical (262,263 patent families – 22%)
- Electrical (142,870 patent families – 12%)
- The ADAPT scheme was launched at the annual LOT Network BRIDGE meeting in 2022
- Cipher has been a member of LOT Network since 2018
- The LOT Network is one of the organisations Cipher has signed up to as part of our Corporate Responsibility
- Cipher is commissioned to produce reports for LOT Network, the most recent being Could NPEs stifle innovation in sustainable energy?
- A LOT network webinar, LOT Network Protection: What does 2.7 million patent assets mean for me? is free to watch
- A summary of the LOT Network report for 2020, plus the full report is available
Managing PAE Patent Risk
Episode 6 in Season 2 of the Cipher Vision Podcast series featured Ken Seddon, CEO of LOT Network.
Ken discussed the threat that PAE companies pose to innovation, as well as the role that operating companies have in taking positive, collaborative steps to ensure a sound patent strategy.
LOT Network Report 2022
The LOT Network Report 2022, which has been produced for the organisation by Cipher, in association with Richardson Oliver Law, has these sections:
- Patent Assertion Entity Risk
- What’s in LOT Network?
- LOT Network BRIDGE: Building Community in IP
- Member Connectedness
- Looking Forward to 2023